background

Thursday, February 17

Whats that? Oh, yes, I'm a filmmaker

I had a lovely evening on the set of a commercial the other night. I was relaxing with the likes of Evan Longoria, Ray Rice, and Kyle Busch just kickin back and having a few laughs on the beaches of Daytona sipping on some boat drinks getting waited on hand and foot.

Okay, okay, there is only a grain of truth to that.

I happened to be in Daytona Beach to be an extra (a SAG extra, mind you) for a secret Proctor and Gamble product commercial. The main dudes in the commercial(s) were, in fact, the athletes mentioned, but we weren't sipping boat drinks together. But, how cool would that have been?

In reality, I sat in a room with some fellow extras for about 7 hours before anyone from production said "boo" to me. We did get some delicious lunch and had some snacks at our disposal as well, which, as you should know, was pleasing to me.

Tic-tock tic-tock. The time drags on as the other extras get to go shoot their little bits as I cool my heals, but wait! My time has come! Here I go to shoot my commercial in all of it's glory! I hope the back of my head looks good. The director informs us(now I am hanging out with my close, personal friends Evan and Kyle) that this spot will look a lot like a scene from The Shining. How, you ask? Keep your eyes peeled for a Gilette commercial with some famous dude, and a couple athletes in it. (see what I did there?) Anyway, as this continues, I get the feeling that maybe, just maybe my face will actually been seen, which is awesome, mainly because that would mean getting upgrade, in turn, leading to more money.

They want to get Evan and Kyle out of there, so we shoot their face-on shots and then stop down to do their other spots. Back to the bullpen for me. Snack time.

A few hours later, as I am the only non-production personnel on set, they come back for me, and we shoot the other half of the spot I'll be in. Boom. Close-up (sorta) of this mug. That takes an hour-ish, then I head back downstairs where I'm informed I need to fill out some more paperwork. Which meaaans, a few extra bones being thrown my way, and it'll actually count for the ol' resumé.

It only took 12+ hours, but I managed to work my way into another commercial. You all should probably watch TV non-stop from here to eternity so you can see me.


And, no, I don't know when(if) it will start running.

No comments:

Post a Comment