background

Tuesday, February 8

The Road to California

I should have been blogging from the road. My apologies for not representing the West Coast side bloggers as advertised. I've been on the road since January 31. The following is an account of my travels and the hellhole that is the state of Texas.
January 31: Pensacola, FL
Although the origin of the trip was Orlando, FL, the road there is well traveled. I spent some quality time with family members (including RBDIII) and enjoyed waking up to this most awesome sunrise. It really never gets old. After 2 days in the panhandle I made my way through Summer 2010 stomping grounds on my way to New Orleans, LA.

February 1 - New Orleans, LA
My awesome pal JPG allowed me to accompany him to a Hornets game against the Wizards in "The Hive". Trombone Shorty was there. Yep. I hang with famous people.
I should have realized that since I get "home away from home" treatment on Versailles that Pax would too. After terrorizing a few cats and making new friends with a wonderful pup he landed a sweet present. Sponge Bob Squarepants. SBSP started out with both arms, both legs and some stuffing. Pax won't go anywhere without him on this road trip. I'm not entirely sure that SBSP was meant to leave his original home but Sadie didn't seem to mind.


February 2 - New Orleans, LA to San Antonio, TX
And the real road trip begins. After picking up my intrepid fellow traveler, PEW, in New Orleans we head onward to San Antonio. We are not on the road for more than an hour when I notice that my passenger is pressing the imaginary brake with some force and frequency. She thinks I drive too fast and too close to other cars. I had to inform her that I was not tailgating, but "drafting". Big difference and could save us loads in gas money later - if I could find a gas station. Raise your hand if you think Texas is sunny, warm, rolling landscape and full of handsome cowboys. Disappointment Station. Pax barely wanted to get out of his box in the back to go to the bathroom. Speaking of that - Texas has some work to do with their rest stations. "Dog Play Area" between cars and trailers? No thank you. We roll into town before dark but just after the park service closes The Alamo. All I got was a drive by shooting. So, no awesome Mexican on the famed Riverwalk but I did manage to embarrass myself plenty by accidentally mispronouncing "quesadilla". Yay.
February 4 - San Antonio, TX to El Paso, TX
No one told us that El Paso is Spanish for "town to just pass through" or something similar. I'm just throwing that out there. Worst leg of the trip 10 times over. It was freezing. There were no gas stations. When there were stations they either had no gas or no water. Rest areas were closed (no water). Rest areas that were open had creepy old men serving as greeters. Blowing snow the entire trip. Bizarre country interchanges pretending to be your typical cloverleaf. Absolutely nothing to look at (when you could see through the snow). Ghetto hotel. Random power outages across the city (Mexico was as bright as can be). I used my emergency flashlight for a while but then got annoyed that I didn't think to bring in the alcohol from the car - could've had a pretty awesome rave. We could not get out of there fast enough. I told PEW that I wouldn't have blamed her if she wanted me to drop her off at the nearest airport and call it quits. Misery all around. We did manage to have a decent meal at the Mexican place next to the hotel. PEW made some friends (naturally) and we headed back to the hotel just in time for the next power outage. Buying electricity from Mexico? Really? I don't think I'll ever like Texas.

February 4 - El Paso, TX to Palm Desert, CA

Since I couldn't wait to get out of the barren wastelands of Texas we drove pretty fast and without stopping until we got to the great state of California. Thank goodness. I had my first In and Out Burger. Pax ran around in some fabulous rest areas and every person we met wanted to play with him. Temperatures climbed steadily until we landed at an awesome 65 and sunny. There was beautiful scenery and cool wind farms. Yay California. The hotel had heated pools and courtyards for the dog. Palm Trees and Sunshine. It was like heaven.

2 comments:

  1. So glad I don't have to make that drive for a while... just wait until you decide to move back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Air Force Ones popped up on my iTunes which always makes me think of you and lo and behold--a post at last.

    Madd props for drafting in an SUV. Love that.

    ReplyDelete