background

Monday, August 29

You Don't Know How It Feels

A good friend of mine also has a blog worth reading: Chronic Style. In the short version, KC describes it's purpose as this: "Chronic Style is a different way of looking at living with long-term and debilitating illness. It’s optimistic, educated, knowledgeable, intimate, informative, and stylish."   She's had to deal with some pretty incredible illnesses in her still short life and yet she remains optimistic about trying all avenues toward a healthy life.

So after yet another unsuccessful doctors visit for me today and the various phone calls and explanations that go with that, I was brought back to a previous post of KC's where she links to an article in the New York Times. To save you from multiple clicks, I've included it here: "You look great, and other lies". My personal favorites from this list are:

Did you try that Mango Colonic I Recommended? AKA - Never Inundate a sick person with your miracle solution idea.  Here's the thing. We all know you mean well. But when I (the patient) have been shuffled from one doctor to the next, each with varying degrees of success in their bedside manner, and somewhat equal correlation to how helpful they were, chances are I have tried that. It either worked out well and I'm continuing that route with mild success or it failed and just made us hate that we tried it. Mostly, I don't care to talk about various treatments. It makes me feel like a patient even outside of the office. And what works for your great uncle bob, probably isn't relevant for someone with vastly different needs. Plus, KC and I both think it's just exhausting.

It Will Be Okay. Really? How do you know? Have you seen the tests/scans/prognosis/fate/destiny? I rank this with "look on the bright side - insert joke". I've probably made all those jokes. The ones about sleeping more soundly, putting annoying people on the other side, using selective hearing as an excuse. It's funny when I say it. It's not when you do. Watch my lead. If I want to talk and be jovial about things, by all means, chime in! Humor really is sometimes the best medicine. But try not to lead with a joke just because you're uncomfortable. That's not that funny.

But before all 20 of you stop reading CoastalBS (yes, I am aware of at least 4 of you that choose to remain anonymous) and accuse me of being a Debby Downer, here are a few faves from the list:
Would You Like Some Gossip?
I Love You.
Those things never fail. I do count my blessings that all of you in my life fulfill those last two. I'm so lucky. And just for the record, I know better than to write when I am annoyed or angry. I do it anyway. 

No comments:

Post a Comment