background

Tuesday, March 5

hey there. its me.

Readers.  Dear readers.  How I have neglected you so.  Please.  Please accept my apologies for keeping you in the dark for so long. Please.

I had to go back and see where I had left you, and as it turns out, even though it was a long time ago, it was probably the perfect place.  My new adventure.  It's already been a crazy run.  Tapiture (my job/adventure) is in the process of blowing up, and I have a front row seat for it.  We recently raised a seed round of just under one million dollars and have been written up in countless (I mean, you can count them, but I don't feel like going back through and actually doing that) publications.  Since I was hired in November as an intern+, I have slid firmly into my role as the Community Manager.  A role that covers all the customer service/support emails, social media, and editing/content curation.  I'll soon be leading an associate editor and team of interns in the curation of the site as we continue to grow.  We have hired a mobile app developer, an intern, a buyer, and as of today the associate editor and another back-end developer.  Our band of merry men is growing exponentially (and gender-ly).  Tomorrow, I interview two more interns to round out our team, for now.  I have no doubt we will be as large as 15 by the end of the year.  That will be triple the size we were when I was hired.  Next quarter, we are launching an e-commerce platform on the site.  This is particularly cool because no site is really doing what we are doing with the social sharing of content coupled with the ability to buy clothes/accessories/gear/gadgets straight from the site.  We already have a small group of merchants ready to list on the site when we launch, and our buyer will be hitting the ground drumming up more companies for us to work with.  We will also be releasing an app soon that is sure to send a spike of users our way.  As we continue to grow, and there is more and more to do, and in turn,  I am seeing my responsibilities grow.  I work pretty much all the time, but when you are part of something so exciting, it doesn't (always) seem like work.  Although, I will say, sometimes it gets old not turning off your computer until midnight (assuming I finish this post in the next half hour, which I'm going to do regardless of if I'm finished, so deal with it).  Any time I need to have a break from the computer screen I can always just look to my left and watch the ocean for a minute.  I can't remember if I told you last time that our office is ON the beach.  There is some other stuff upcoming that is exciting but I can't really talk about yet, so stay tuned.  Also, you can create a google alert for "Tapiture" and read about us when we are in the news.  It happens relatively often.

In other, non-related news, I went up to San Francisco to visit some friends slash help them with a project.  They are launching an app called "Traffic" and wanted some help creating an online marketing video.  I was happy to help.  The app is sort of like a Yelp, but instead of getting reviews from a stranger, you follow your friends(and/or people they know) for reviews.  Places are given a red, yellow, or green light and there is a fixed number of characters to describe why/why not to go there and what/what not to get etc.  It is a very cool idea, and I believe it will do well.  Shooting the videos was a lot of fun, and I think they turned out well.  Here are two of them:

Trevor (Part One)

Trevor (Part Two)

There will be a part 3, but I'm not sure when that will be.












No comments:

Post a Comment