background

Thursday, March 14

Anxiety

Lately I have been fairly consumed with anxiety about what my life will look like when I finish the MBA courses in April. I've been fortunate enough to do some pretty amazing traveling and my 2013 resolution to "Always Be Adventuring" is off to a roaring start. But I'm still worried every day that my life won't have the impact I desire - that I'll somehow be forgotten. Too much time has been spent comparing myself to others, in their whole lives, accomplishments, daily activities and too little time has been spent given myself room to experiment with new career paths or even recognizing my own accomplishments. My brain was spinning around in my head trying to determine the next best plan. Then a mentor of mine suggested that I actually write things down. Imagine that. So pasted below is that document. It's dynamic, and I'll consult it when the time comes to decide one career path over the other. For now, I'm going to continue adventuring and continue to dare greatly. (and I'll post International Travel Blogs about Argentina and France very soon)


Taylor Dalton - 

For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord. Plans to prosper you and not to harm you. Plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. Jeremiah 29:11-12

Core Beliefs/Values:

 I am confident in my own ability to manage my life (and learning to be more confident in God’s plan – always hopeful they are the same).

I value honesty, loyalty, and care about the needs of others.

I am bold, assertive, and thrive in dynamic environments.

I take pride and ownership in all that I do; it’s important to do things properly, accurately.

I value collaboration and enjoy helping people build their talents.

I am a fighter; for me, for my family, for people I think have been oppressed.

I value intellectual curiosity and discovery.

I am strong-willed and independent.

I desire to leave a lasting impression – in people, communities, organizations, etc.

I believe in living a life (whole life: work, play, home) so that people will know that I love Jesus, but will do so in a way that reflects a personal relationship, not one determined by others.  

Gifts:

Persuasion
Decision-making
Trustworthiness
Critical thinking / Problem Solving
Keeping things moving – taking action
Communication
Eye for detail
Independence
Leadership
Passion – communicating the potential
Adaptive

Passion:

Love talking/acting on larger scale issues. Desperate to feel part of something bigger.
Challenging the norm – innovating or creating new processes
Writing, creating, telling stories
Active, dynamic work –tangible results with immediate impact. Implementing ideas
Working with people to bring out their best.
Righting wrongs; overcoming obstacles
Discovering new things – intellectual curiosity
Problem solving
Challenging myself through new projects, or physical activity

Job Criteria 

+
-
Non-routine work
Routine – same process
Autonomy
Micro management
Tangible results
Report writing without action
Generalist
Too specialized/pigeon-holed
Self-directed but collaborative
Lack of follow through
Enacting change
Red tape bureaucracy
Sense of belonging
Every person for his/herself
Central Florida
Outside USA
High energy & fun
Inactive all desk work
Growth potential

Focused direction

Some travel

Small/medium size

National/global implications of work, still committed to local community.


1 comment: