background

Saturday, April 28

Not Since I've Been Home

LDL and I are twins. Blonde Twins. We also look scarily similar to our high school days. Thankfully we've realized that wearing clothes four sizes too big is a silly thing to do, so hopefully we're a bit more fashionable than our old-school Umbros and t-shirts. The point is that we are generally recognizable. 

We're also making an effort around here to walk/bike wherever we need to go (within reason. I mean, some days are too hot. Some days we have too much to carry. Some days we are just tired). This, combined with the above paragraph, leaves us very vulnerable to "strangers" stopping us in the midst of our "exercise" or general errand running. It's not a big deal! We're back in town after 10 years away. We need friends. If only people would introduce themselves. 

This kind of stuff happens all the time:

- While Walking Around the Lake - 

Stranger/Potential Friend/Former Acquaintance: T & L D!!! How are you guys?? Do you remember me?

T:  possibly awkward pause Hello! So great to see you again! I didn't know you lived around here. 

S/PF/FA: I just moved back here from (insert location). I'm an attorney now. Hard to believe isn't it? I mean, seems like yesterday we were hanging out at the church together. 

T: Well you look great. Are you enjoying O-town ::leans down to pet dog who has been jumping on leg:

S/PF/FA: This is my dog (insert name). 

T&L: Well, it was great to run into you. We walk this lake a lot, so hopefully we'll see you around!

-Continue Walking Separate Ways-

L: T, who was that?

T: I have no idea. I was really hoping that when I said our names out loud, she would do the same. No luck.

L: I feel terrible. 

-End Scene-

-While Shopping At Publix-

Stranger: while walking past us in the other direction. Cereal aisle. Hey. You guys went to Edgewater. 

L: Yes we did! Small pause to see if she'll introduce herself

S: Do you not remember me? 2001! 

T: No, 2000

S: No, ME! I was class of 2001. They called me (insert inaudible nickname). Motions to her face. No? Still nothing? You don't remember? I dated (insert inaudible name of old boyfriend). 

Unable to hear/understand conversation, T walks away to finish shopping

L: Well, it was nice to see you again!

-End Scene- 

It's not that LDL and I don't enjoy these interactions, its just really embarassing when we can't come up with the name of the person who recognizes us. I realize this has potential to make us sound very snobby and uninterested in others but that's just not true! A few days after that, a car stopped at the intersection of our walking lake and major road. The short version of that interaction is this: Driver stops, rolls down window and shouts our names. She immediately follows this with her name and the name of her children, who are our age. Perfection. We did recognize her, but by saying her name immediately, the awkward pause to think and place in context were eliminated. Whew. 

Now every time I run into someone I haven't seen in a while, I introduce myself and whoever I am standing/walking/running/drinking with. It's just better that way. 

I'm off to go pay more attention to my niece look alike. Right now the dog is babysitting her.  
photo.JPG
Pax and MLL

No comments:

Post a Comment