background

Wednesday, May 18

Going Going Back Back to Cali Cali

My (and my mom's) trip to Cali is coming up in about a month. Originally it was just going to be a nice little trip to visit 2 of the 3 other siblings and check out LA on the way from San Francisco to San Diego. I wanted to stop in and get a feel for the city and kind of look around for areas I may want to live when I move out there. When I told LTD this was the main purpose of the stop, she told me, "No! You have to go and meet agents, make connections!" That was a paraphrase, but it was pretty close. I had to inform her that you can't just walk into an agency(especially in LA) and say, "Hey, my name is Mack and I live in Orlando, but I'm thinking of moving out here, do you want to have a meeting?" Again, a paraphrase. I think I told her I'd be arrested for trespassing, and while that may not be exactly true, I feel it's pretty close.

Pause there for a second.

A week or so ago, a friend from early UF days called me up and told me he had applied for a coaching job with UCF and he wanted to know if I knew anyone who might be able to give him a recommendation. I did, so I passed along his info, and a fairly high-up gave him a recommendation to someone that matters. Why am I telling you this? Well as this was all going on, discussion switched over to me and what I was doing. I informed this friend that I was pursuing an acting career and was thinking of moving out to LA in the near future. Well, his next door neighbor growing up happens to live in LA. And work in the business. For some well known film people. Also, this friends' cousin lives out there and works in the music industry. She has a manager who also reps actors. So. I now have these people's contact information and we are going to try and meet while I'm visiting(including the manager, hopefully). People helping people.

This past weekend was a friend's bachelor party. We went to New Orleans, and it was awesome. That's really all I'll say about that. Except this. I was sitting at a table playing a game of strategy and got to talking to the guy sitting next to me, you know, just small talk while trying to win together. The question of "so, what do you do?" comes up, so I tell him. HE'S got a buddy who has been living and working in LA for a while with a prominent agency. So, I get this guys card, he says to email him and he'll put me in contact with the guy. I didn't really expect him to come through, but, he did. I've been in contact with this fella and we're going to try and meet while I'm out there too.

Pretty good two weeks.

Now, most likely, nothing will come of these meetings. I'm aware of that. You should be aware of that. I hope now you are aware of that. Buuut, mayybe? Maybe. At worst, I meet a few people (assuming the meetings actually happen) who probably know some more people, and might be able to point me in a helpful direction.

I have no expectations. But my fingers are crossed.

Quick update on biz stuff that has been going on over the past few months. I think I have passed on most of this, but here you go again. I booked a PGATour.com commercial, a SAG Gillette commercial, started shooting a SAG webseries, and will start shooting an independent film this weekend. Also, I had an audition with Tyler Perry studios and had an audition for the latest in the American Pie movies(and a subsequent 2nd audition. Another level of suck: See previous post) So, things seem to be moving in the right direction.

For your viewing pleasure, here is the PGATour.com commercial:

1 comment:

  1. what is the point of a coastal brothers and sisters blog if 3 of the 4 not only live west of the mississippi but actually IN CALIFORNIA!? I mean, I'm pumped for you.

    ReplyDelete