background

Monday, October 22

Looking Ahead to Veterans Day

I'm not sure one of our personal heroes, and one of your national heroes, would post this himself and so I am doing it for him.  I know at least my small family is really working on our charitable giving, on discovering where we feel called to give and investing in the causes that pull at our hearts.  This is one of them.  Please read this letter from my brother -


Family, Friends, Squadron-mates, People who erroneously gave me their contact information-

First, forgive the email intrusion. Second forgive me for using the intrusion to ask for money. Yes this is real, not a contest or phishing or anything nefarious – for that I’m sorry.

For those of you still with me, a group of folks at Harvard Kennedy School (me included) are borrowing from the “Mo’vember” movement and growing mustaches from October 15th until our Veteran’s Day observance at school on November 13th.  Why mustaches? We are sacrificing our dignity and good looks in order to raise awareness for homelessness, specifically in the veteran community.

Veterans make up a disproportionately large part of the homeless population. So much so that the Department of Veterans Affairs has made a goal of completely eradicating homelessness among veterans in five years: http://www.va.gov/homeless/

In the mean time, there are folks on the street that can use our help. To that end, our group’s mustaches are meant to raise awareness among our peers for two charitable causes that aid the homeless population in our community. The links below will lead you to our chosen shelters, where you will have an opportunity to donate to support me and the specific shelter of your choice, should you feel inclined.

To donate to the New England Center for Homeless Veterans, click here:
To donate to the Harvard Square Homeless Shelter, click here: 

If you have already donated, thank you. If you wish not to donate, please forgive the intrusion. I will probably send out one more call for support in our last week, and then I’ll report on how close we came to achieving our goal of $10,000 for each shelter. 
Thanks for reading this far, and thanks always for your past and future support.

Yours truly,
Bale Dalton 

No comments:

Post a Comment