background

Friday, March 9

Silent House

This past weekend, little l, LDL, LTD, and I went up and over to Pensacola Beach, FL. That beach is definitely a home a way from home (even though I've had a million plus "homes" in the last decade). LTD went to high school at Gulf Breeze High and her side of the family has lived there since. We've been vacationing there every August to celebrate our grandmother's birthday. It's always a time of great joy, high drama, and general shenanigans associated with a fun loving family that enjoys each others company.  The view from that condo is spectacular and every time we get out of the car, after 7 hours, we sigh and say "It was worth it".
This visit was a little different and was for two primary reasons. The first was to visit the wonderful J&M Treesh family and celebrate the baptism of their youngest. The second reason we were there was to visit and check in on our grandmother, who is in a giant battle with Alzheimer's. I remember her so young and vivacious. She was always happy, well groomed and bragging on one of her 13 grandchildren. Purple is her favorite color; the color of royalty. She's a queen and a child of God. I'm trying hard to use the present tense here when describing purple grandmother, but the truth of the matter is she is not the woman I remember. Alzheimer's is a terribly mean disease. So LDL and I go to pay a visit, introduce a great-granddaughter (who shares a name with purple grandmother), breathe in the salt air, and do our best to love our own mom in every way we know how.

Truthfully, it's still too difficult for me to really talk about the drastic change in my grandmother. I love her. I miss her. This new person makes me nervous. And yet, somehow, despite being completely uncomfortable, I managed to convince myself she knew exactly who I was, where I had been, and all the stories we've shared. But when the day was done, she looked at me and said "Are you the lady who does my hair?".

Guess what's for dinner?

Silent House - The Dixie Chicks
Everyday that will pass you by
Every name that you won't recall
Everything that you made by hand
Everything that you know by heart

And I will try to connect
All the pieces you left
I will carry it on
And let you forget
And I'll remember the years
When your mind was clear
How the laughter and life
Filled up this silent house



More upbeat stories to come! A scavenger hunt for a lost phone; multiple trips to the Plant City Strawberry Festival; making p a tee-ball set from a tennis ball and tights; swimming in February; passionate conversations about politics; Fawning over The Ellen Show; D family happy hours; learning, adventuring, and loving. Be kind to one another.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful bittersweet post, friend. Pardon the pun, but it read swiftly, breezily, if I may say; and yet that snapshot of your grandmother? Deft. Y'all are in my prayers :)

    ReplyDelete